Tuesday, August 28, 2007

It Was Only A Quarter


Several years ago, a preacher from out-of-state accepted a call to a church in Houston, Texas. Some weeks after he arrived, he had anoccasion to ride the bus from his home to the downtown area. Whenhe sat down, he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him aquarter too much change. As he considered what to do, he thought to himself, 'You'd better give the quarter back.. It would be wrong to keep it.' Then he thought, 'Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter. Who would worry about this little amount? Anyway, the bus company gets too muchfare; they will never miss it. Accept it as a gift from God' and keep quiet.'
When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, then he handed the quarter to the driver and said, 'Here, you gave me too much change.' The driver, with a smile, replied, 'Aren't you the new preacher in town? I have been thinking a lot lately about going somewhere to worship. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I'll see you at church on Sunday.
When the preacher stepped off of the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on, and said, 'Oh God, I almost sold your Son for a quarter.
Our lives are the only Bible some people will ever read. Thisis a really scary example of how much people watch us as Christians andwill put us to the test! Always be on guard and remember that you carry the name of Christ on your shoulders when you call yourself Christian.
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
Live life in such a way that those who don't know Jesus will cometo know Jesus because they know you.

2 comments:

Deidre said...

Bring it on, Holy Spirit!

Great post.

I accidentally came home with a pair of shoes from Target (O.'s size) and didn't pay. I didn't want the shoes, but they mysteriously made it to my stroller. I took them back that night and handed them to the cashier. She said, "Whatever" .. and threw them aside ... Uh huh - she needed her some Jesus!

Susan said...

Great post, thanks for reminding me what others may see in me.