Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Happy HumpDay

What a day this has been! I woke up this morning with a sore thumb and sore right arm.....to be expected since I have started bowling in a league on Tuesday nights. It has been almost three years since I have bowled. I started bowling at the age of four or five, I come from a family of bowlers. I enjoy bowling very much, but my work schedule about three years ago prevented me from being able to bowl in a league. Well I am not as young as I used to be, although that is not a good excuse for my pains. My father has been bowling for 30 years or more, he is now 50 yrs old, but my poor arm was so sore from my three games of bowling that I woke with pain and it has been hurting all day. Well enough complaining about that, I have had a wonderful day, work has been pretty slow the past several weeks. I work in an insurance Call Center in Chattanooga, TN and we are full staffed to the point I do not receive many phone calls these days. In many ways this is a good thing, not alot of irate callers when they get in touch with a 'live person' because their wait isn't very long. I have learned over that past months how much people really hate CHANGE. Our company was recently purchased by a multi-million dollar company called Unitrin and many people in our office and some of our customers are very uneasy about the acquisition. I myself am someone that likes change, I not like the normal melancholy everyday things. I believe this CHANGE is a good thing and our company will benefit greatly from it. Can you believe we have actually had customers cancel their business with us because of this change?! It beats all I have ever seen, joining forces with a much larger and more profitable company and we lose business....pretty weird if you ask me.

After I arrive home from work today, my husband Dew (short for Dewey-shown above) was waiting on me with bated breathe as usual and we went out to enjoy dinner together, something we don't do as often as we used to since I have tried to cook more. For those of you that may not know me, I DON'T COOK...ask my mother! I recently decided I would attempt to start cooking at home more, to help save money. I went to a local used bookstore and purchased four...yes FOUR cookbooks to help with some ideas, I am not a very creative lady so I needed some help. A co-worker accompanied me, to insure I would get something useful for my lack of knowledge around the kitchen. This happened a perfect time, because the Sunday lunches that our family has at Maw and Paw's every week is now 'pot luck'. My grandparents have cooked for the entire family for a long time, and it was long overdue that we all start helping with the food we partake in. So for my very first recipe, I figure a DESSERT cant be too hard so I look cover to cover in all four of my 'new' cookbooks and there I find IT! Pecan Tassies, sounds a little fancy huh? Well I made my purchases of the ingredients, because of course none of the needed items are in my cupboard or Whirlpool refrigerator. I even make the crusts my scratch....that is leading up to the comical part of my story. The instructions clearly say and I quote, "In a large bowl or food processor, thoroughly MIX the butter, cream cheese, and flour". So being the Betty Crocker I am not, I grab my hand mixer and start mixing in my large bowl these ingredients. Minutes later after fighting with the gooey dough and fighting my MIXER I start to smell something burning! I know I have nothing in my oven which is at this time preheating, so I lean down to my MIXER, and you guessed it.....my MIXER had burnt up, the motor I mean. How was I supposed to know you can't use a hand mixer to mix dough!
Once the motor blew in my mixer, I figured mixing by hand would be easier anyway...to say the least I finished my dessert and they were even eatable. Needless to say, when I displayed my item that Sunday, the tassies were a crowd pleaser. I hope someone gets a laugh out of this experience, and I look forward to posting some more of mishaps or should I say some of my accomplishments with my cooking.

Although, I haven't cooked for a week or so, I got bad stomach bug when I was prepared to cook the entre' for our family gathering....I will start cooking again soon, and hope each thing I cook will continue to be eatable.


Until next time...What Can Dew 4 U signing off.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I didn't know you had had such a time cooking those pecan pastries!!! They were sure worth it...for me anyway!! Keep the new recipes coming.....I will try anything...once!!!


Love Ya

Susan said...

I am proud of you....I was beginning to worry that Dewey would have to eat fast food for the next thirty years or so.

Love u

Deidre said...

Oh my, Keeley. From now on, stop by the grocery store on your way to Aunt Frances', and buy a dessert. Take a cake plate from home and put the item in there and wow them with your talent. Doesn't that sound easy? I'm all about helping you out here. :)